Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pondicherry is wondrous

Pondicherry is a town 3 hours south of Chennai.

This evening as I was riding my bike through this part French and part Indian town I found myself at a temple festival. I was mostly allured by the elephant that was "giving blessings." If you fed it it tapped your head. A little boy brought two green apples and the elephant snuffed them with his snout and brought it to it's mouth and ate them..then tapped the little one. The boy and I both smiled. As I was leaving this local temple bizarre I bought some jasmine flowers for my hair b/c I've seen locals wear them and I too wanted to smell lovely while living in this very damp and hot atmosphere. I wasn't sure how to place it in my hair...a woman noticed and silently walked over to me from her family. She motioned that she could do it. I turned around and through the corner of my eye I witnessed her remove a bobby-pin from her hair and place it in mine to properly hold up my flowers. I was so moved by her generosity. I felt myself begin to well up. I thanked her with a small bow and smile and walked over to my bike. As I was unlocking my bike a young man said, "You look like a beautiful Indian woman." I smiled. I certainly smelled like one. :) In three days I leave for Trivandrum for my two week retreat. Sending hugs and love.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

when i read the part about her removing a pin from her hair, i started crying through my smile. such a simple gesture, but big in kindness and thoughtfulness.
there is peace and love in our world. and you are helping to spread it.
my heart is full for you right now.

xo love to you.

Kelly said...

Doris - I love hearing your stories. So simple and so beautiful. I feel like I can taste a little of where you are...green apples, jasmine flowers. Mmmm...Darling you are blessed!